Conversion of former military school into housing complex

Location :Zossen OT Wünsdorf
Investor :Baltic Memorial OHG
Design :cubus plan gmbh
Period :2017 - pres.
Statics :Dirk Grabow
GFA :6101 m²
Services :Draft Design, Permit Application, Detailed Design, Tender and Allocation, Supervision

Historical background

From 1910, numerous barracks were built in Wünsdorf: in 1912 the telephone and telegraph office and in 1913 the infantry school. When Wünsdorf became the headquarters of the Reichswehr, the imperial gymnasium (house of the officers) and other barracks, a military hospital and horse stables followed. With the seizure of power by the National Socialists in 1933, Wünsdorf developed into a center for fast troops with the expansion of military facilities, e.g. with a bathing establishment and military sports facilities, which were used as a training camp for the Olympic Games in 1936. After the first bombings in 1945, Soviet troops marched in and Wünsdorf became the headquarters of the high command with 30,000 Soviet soldiers. The troops were withdrawn in 1994. They left a garrison town of 260 hectares that was deserted for a long time, from which 98,300 pieces of ordnance were already disposed of.

The main entrance to the military school was originally in the west through the central axis and afforded a symmetrical view of the ensemble. At the center are two identical team houses flanking a canteen in between. The western open space served as a parade ground. The eastern boundary of the ensemble was used as a horse stable during the imperial era, with the introduction of motor vehicles as storage and workshops.

Living in a monument

The development of the 8-hectare area includes the structuring of the streets, paths and green spaces, as well as the renovation of the 20 buildings, six of which are listed. The aim is to secure the buildings having building structure that is worth preserving from decay and to highlight them again after years of neglect. The area is also being revitalized by the conversion into approx. 180 apartments. It is important that the ensemble is preserved as an overall picture and that the monument can still be experienced by both residents and visitors.

The property is divided into quiet areas (east) and busy areas (west). Parts of the spacious outdoor area are unsealed again and offer residents natural relaxation on the doorstep with gardens, sports facilities and playgrounds. Additionally planned allotments create individual retreat areas in the green.

The historical floor plans should be largely preserved in order to make only careful interventions in the building structure. To ensure the adequate illumination of the rooms, former development rooms as corridors are integrated into the apartments. Through the four stairwells, the individual apartments can be accessed directly. The five apartments in the center of the building can be reached via the elevator and can thus be made barrier-free. Each apartment has a spacious balcony.

The roof of the staff house, destroyed after a fire, was rebuilt by Cubus Projekt.